Friday, April 4, 2008

The blessings of a loving God

About two weeks ago, I had a misunderstanding with my Heavenly Father. It was all on me! Let me first fill you in on the misunderstanding, then I'll get to the blessings.

As some of you know, Joseph changed jobs at the end of January. He loves it and is a much more enjoyable person to live with as a result. The downside is the pay. We took a substantial pay cut, but we prayed about it and felt we would be okay. Things came to a halt on a Monday morning as we were planning to go out of town the next weekend and Joseph remembered he had taken a second job to give us a little wiggle room. He couldn't come with the rest of us. That is when I kind of lost it.... I was upset! Mostly because I had been praying, pleading, BEGGING(!) that Joseph wouldn't have to work 2 jobs again. I made some changes in my life in order to be a better mom, wife, but most of all a better follower of Christ. I was (and am) making real efforts to be better! So that Monday morning as I lost it, I went in the bathroom and knelt and prayed. I told my Heavenly Father that I didn't understand why he couldn't bless us, make it so that Joseph could work a regular schedule and still have time for his calling and his schooling and US! I didn't understand why he wouldn't answer my prayer since I had been begging for a few weeks now... After a few minutes, Joseph knocked at the door and came in. He held me for a while and then I asked for a blessing. As he blessed me, he told me that I would find answers in the scriptures. Later that day I took a few minutes to read and ponder and two verses hit me pretty hard:
Words of Mormon 1:7;
"... I do not know all things;but the lord knoweth all things which are to come; wherefore,he worketh in me to do according to his will."
That wasn't exactly what I wanted... As I read some more I came by this:
Doctrines and covenants 121: 36;
"...that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness."
To explain my state after this there is only one word needed: HUMBLED.
As Joseph put it, there is nothing like a little heavenly butt whooping from time to time!
I realized once more how much I love Joseph and that one of the things I love the most about him is his willingness to work really hard to ensure our family is taken care of. Joseph quit the second job 2 weeks ago...
But to get to my point; this is what I realized today as I was driving home from the store: in the past 2 weeks, the lord has provided a way for us to make extra money without having to get the dreaded second job. He has opened the gates of heaven and he has blessed us. In more ways than I can count.
Today this blog was written for only one purpose:
I simply needed to express
my gratitude
for the blessings of a loving God.

2 comments:

emily said...

what a sweet post! life is hard. you're good at making good of it though (or at least you appear to be!).

Emilie Ahern said...

What a great psot. I am so glad you shared this since each of us can keep in mind how blessed we are.