Thursday, June 5, 2008

When a little kid becomes more of a big kid...


I was woken up a few times last night. The boys have a not so fun summer cold. Lots of coughing and low fevers... Except for Samuel who seems to have escaped it so far! (can you see my fingers crossed behind my back?)He still woke up. Mostly because of his brothers coughing I think... Matthew complained of a headache too. Then it was the weirdest thing. Between 3 and 4 am. They were all awake. All 3 of them... Between cough syrup, potty trips, drinks of water and random thoughts; I felt it was never going to end. Then amidst all that, Matthew came to me.

Here is the dialogue:


Matthew: Mommy, (pause for a sec), MOMMY!

Me: Yes? (really sleepy)

Matthew: I have a wiggly tooth! (all excited!)

Me: Really! (awake all of a sudden) Let me feel it!

So he came and showed me the tooth. ANd IT IS WIGGLY!

I told him to go back to bed and we would check it again in the morning.


So Joseph had a feel of the wiggly tooth this morning too. It wiggles. Not enough to pull it out quite yet, but it does wiggle a fair amount.

As I have been contemplating this new milestone in the life of my 6 year old, I just can't believe how fast time goes by!

In the past 9 Months, Matthew has grown 5 inches (I have pictures to prove it!) When he started Kindergarten in september he was 3'6". When he was measured again a couple of weeks ago, he was 3'11". He has learned to read and is very proficient at it. I mean I am amazed at how well he reads. We make him read verses of the book of mormon in family scripture study and he stumbles on long hard words but mostly sails through without too much trouble. And now he has a wiggly tooth. The Baby teeth are making way for the big ones...

I know it is part of life, a passage of sorts... My little boy is growing up! He is turning into a big kid... And a fine one at that!

Stay tuned for upcoming news of the tooth fairy sightings in the Beckman House!

6 comments:

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

Congrats Matthew! That is so exciting!!

Victoria said...

How fun for you as a mom. It is weird for me to think that Rachel will one day have a wiggly tooth someday. Crazy!

emily said...

that's so exciting! it makes me sad for my own kids to grow up though.

Misty and The Choatester said...

I can't believe how big he is now. I remember him as a sweet little shy sunbeam. So cute!

Papi said...

You think the time goes fast, mom?... and what about me? I can almost remember the day of YOUR first wiggly tooth. Et voilà que mon petit-fils sera bientôt visité par la fée des dents...
Vivement que vienne le temps où je pourrai vous visiter à tous les mois ou aux deux mois pour les voir grandir.
Matthew, je t'aime... I love you and send me a picture when the tooth will be gone...