Saturday, October 11, 2008

Passing on...

If there is one thing that has been made clear in my mind once more over the last 12 hours it is how fragile this life is.

If you read my post from last night, you know Kelly Wall was in the Hospital. He passed away this morning around 7 am...

I think some passings are harder than others. When Joseph's Grandma passed away a little over 2 years ago, I didn't really shed tears. I was happy she could be back with her loved ones in the spirit world. But I have been struggling with this. Mostly because it was so sudden...

Kelly had neck surgery a couple of weeks ago. I have been meaning to stop by or call to see how he was since then. I didn't. I saw him out in his front yard this week. Laughing and chatting with his neighbor as I drove past his street. I told myself I should stop and say Hi, but I was in a hurry. Last night, before dinner time I ran over to their house with Matthew. The Walls generously let us plant a garden with theirs this summer. I wanted to grab the last of the tomatoes before the storm today. I told myself as I pulled in that I should knock on the door and say hi. I didn't. I was in a hurry.

Now I know that regrets do not get you anywhere. I know that it wouldn't have changed anything, but I still wish I had seized the day.

These are a few things I appreciated and admired about Kelly:

He was always humble.
He had a good sense of humor.
He was a good Dad and Husband.
He wanted his kids to be hard workers.

Kelly and Joseph changed our breaks with the twins last summer. I admired the way he was teaching his kids all these practical things.

He took pride in having a clean and well maintained yard.

When we first moved to Utah, we lived next door to the Wall family. We had a landlord that didn't quite appreciate kids playing in the yard... Kelly let us play in his yard anytime we wanted.
He always asked when we could come over and play there.
He shared the bounties of his fruit trees. His peaches are soo yummy!

Every New year's eve or the last 2 years, they came over and had a little party with us.

I still can quite grasp that he is gone.

But I know he is back in heaven with our heavenly Father.

There is one thing about my faith that separates us from others: We believe in eternal families. We can be together forever.

The next few days ahead will be hard for the rest of his family. Curtis and Kyle, who are currently serving missions in Argentina, will most likely come home... Kaylie will have the hardest time I think. She is a few months shy of her 12th birthday... Carol will grieve sorely too. I would...

My heart and prayers are with them.

Please pray for them too...

2 comments:

Mary said...

I cant believe kelly has passedaway. The wall family will be in our prayers. The wall family holds a special place in our familys lifes

Jenn said...

I cannot believe this heartbreaking news. The Wall family will surely be in our prayers.