Monday, November 24, 2008

Sometimes it just takes some remembering...


The kids and I took a trip to the library last week. I have been trying to find books that are interesting and that talk about the Founding Fathers, the Constitution...


I stumbled upon "Abe's Honest Words - The life of Abraham Lincoln" (Doreen Rappaport) in the picture book section.


The book is a condensed version Of Abraham Lincoln life's intertwined with quotes form Abraham Lincoln himself. The Pictures are GREAT and it is not super long that my kids lost interest...


So I we read this story before bed, I started to tear up a little...


There is something to be said about Abraham Lincoln's wisdom. His words are profound yet simple...


There is a quieting awe that comes as we take in his words and understand them.


The quote that really stuck with me is from "The Gettysburg Address" and it says:



"It is not for us the living, rather that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."


In a time where our government think it wise to govern against the will of the people and to spend all of our money on Bailouts, it is nice to KNOW and REMEMBER that the power lies with the people...



Sometimes it just takes some remembering...

1 comment:

emily said...

Oooh, that's a good book! I love Abraham Lincoln. When I lived in MD when I was a kid we visited the Ford Theater and Gettysburg a few times and I bought a few books about him. He's one of my heroes for sure.