Thursday, February 12, 2009

Should you be caught by a bad case of morning sickness at lunch time...

If you have been pregnant, you know that morning sickness is not reserved to mornings and that it can come on anytime of the day just because it wants too... Well, this morning, after dropping Matthew off and checking out a preschool for Zack, It got me again... All I wanted to do was lay on my bed and not move (while listening to talk radio...). Thankfully Zack and Sam were sweet and happy and played well together!

Then came lunch time.

I made quesadillas for the kids but I couldn't stomach them... I knew I had to eat something or it would get worse... I felt like soup. No chicken noodle in my cupboard. So I decided to make french onion soup. Call it crazy french roots or something! It was so good! Best of all, my stomach is a bit more settled. It's like magic!

Should you want to make it, here is how:

1 tbs of Olive oil or butter
2 medium sized onions, sliced not diced
2 cans of chicken or beef broth
1 tbs of balsamic vinegar (optional)
a few slices of french bread, toasted
Swiss or Mozzarella cheese shredded

Slice your onion while warming a medium sized pot on medium heat with the olive oil or Butter.
Throw the onions in. Let them brown slowly. stirring occasionally but not too much. you want them to get a nice caramel color without burning them. It takes a few minutes... Patience is of the essence to get good results! When the onions are nice and brown, add a small amount of broth to pick up all the brown yumminess at the bottom of the pan. then add the rest of broth. bring to a boil and add balsamic vinegar. (I don't use sherry or wine and I found that the balsamic vinegar adds a nice richness to the taste.)

While the soup simmers, warm up your oven broiler and toast your french bread.
After 5-7 minutes of simmering, dish out the soup in small bowls, cover with the toasted french bread, cover it all with cheese. Broil until the cheese gets speckled with light brown spots.

Remove from the oven and ENJOY!!! Watch out it WILL be HOT!

2 comments:

emily said...

How weird, the Pioneer Woman posted a french onion soup recipe today too. Yum!

emily said...

Oh, I forgot to add: cooking when I'm pregnant is the WORST. Do you have that problem? Even walking into a kitchen or grocery store sends me running for the nearest bathroom.