Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Moving through the eyes of a 7 year old...

Matthew has been having a bit of a rough time. It started with the complaints of tummy aches. Every school day as I told him it was time to get his shoes on...

I have to admit it really stunk for him to move. We left Utah the day after his 7th birthday. He didn't really get a party. We did take him out to eat for his Birthday and later had a birthday dinner, but no party this year...

Matthew is one who enjoys routine and habits. He does not like to have his world turned upside down...

Well sometimes there isn't really any other options...

So after a couple of days of the complaints of tummy aches, I asked if there was something going on at school, a mean kid, a bully... Nope. There has been the occasional teasing from a little boy, but nothing to cause him such anxiety.

We finally got to the bottom of it.

In Matthew's words; "School is boring here, I want to go back to my old school in Utah and play with my friends."

Last Sunday morning, Matthew got a hold of his best buddy Kaden. Joseph thought they would only talk for 5 minutes, but they talked for almost 30 minutes... He was so happy to get news and talk to his friend!

Monday morning came with the tummy ache. I sat down on the edge of his bed and talked to him about how I miss it too. All of our friends, big and small, the friendliness of the school, the fact that they weren't so rigid and bureaucratic...

I said that sometimes life throws us a curve ball. We did not expect to have changes, but that change is there anyways. All that there is left to do is accept it and move on. It doesn't mean that we forget our friends. It does mean that we don't love them anymore. It only means that we need to make it work here too.

I finally got him to school. He was a couple of minutes late.

I called Joseph and cried. After so many things said, over so many days, it comes a point where a mom doesn't know what else to say, what else to do...

But then, for the last 2 days, nothing. He hasn't cmplained about going...

I can't help but wonder if this is over, or if it is only a small break...

Moving stinks. Especially through the eyes of a 7 year old.

1 comment:

emily said...

Poor Matthew. I know how he feels, and it's so hard. When we moved to MD when I was 10 it was one of the hardest things EVER. At my old school, as the youngest of 6, the teachers and administrators knew me, I knew all the kids...moving was one of the hardest things in my life. But after a few months, it did get easier. You're a good mom to sit and talk with him about it. That's what my mom did too. Knowing that I was loved at home helped a lot at school. You guys are always in my prayers.