Monday, May 30, 2011

In honor of those who gave all...

When I got out of bed this morning,
Joseph was getting ready to go into work for a few hours on this Memorial day.
He put on a patriotic you tube video of "God Bless the USA".

I decided I would finally break the blogging silence
and Blog about today
because this is one of the things I feel strongly about.

I read an article from the Wall street Journal this morning
that can well represent what I feel about this day.
If you have a few minutes during your day,
I would recommend stopping by here and reading it.
Mark Helprin hits it right on the nail.

I do believe that we should remember the sacrifice
of those who gave their lives for freedom every single day.
But today especially,
we should remember their sacrifice
and those of their loved ones.

There is no word strong enough to express the gratitude we feel.
I thank my Father in Heaven there are such men and women.
Willing to give it all.
Willing to sacrifice all.
All in the name of an ideal.
All in the name of Freedom.

Let us not forget that freedom is NOT free.
It was paid for dearly in the blood of our fellow countrymen.
And sometimes even by those
who did not belong to this God inspired Nation.

Let us not forget that freedom is fragile,
That it does need our protection and vigilance.
Let us be more involved,
Let us not fall into apathy.



1 comment:

the emily said...

We went to a little ceremony downtown today and one of the things the main speaker said struck me. He said something along the lines of "You don't owe freedom of press to reports, you owe it to veterans." "You don't owe freedom of speech to a poet, you owe it to veterans" and on and on. It was an interesting thought. Happy memorial day!