Sunday, April 24, 2016

Closing a chapter

Today, our family closed a chapter.

For the past 5 year, Joseph has been a counselor in the Bishopric (leadership) of our ward (church congregation). 

Today, he, along with the 2 Brethren he had the opportunity to serve with, were released of their responsibilities and the "baton" was passed to 3 new Brethren. 

Three great men who also are great servants of the Lord.


To say that the last few days haven't been a roller coaster of emotion would be a lie. 

I have always thought that I would be happy at the news of the release. 
I have always thought that the idea of more time with my husband and having him actually eat dinner with us more than a couple of days a week without having to rush away would be a relief.
I have always thought that having him sit in the pew with us would be an even greater relief. 
Don't get me wrong, I am excited about all the latter points. 
They put a smile on my face.

What I did not expect, however, was how hard this would be to "let go" if you will. 

Someone told me that it will be nice to have things get back to normal. 
The problem is that THIS has been our normal for 5 years. 

We've lived it, dealt with it at times endured it.
We've arranged our schedules around it. 
We've split up to cover the bases and strategized on how to meet all the demands. 

There have been hard times and good times. 

But mostly, there have been blessings. More than I can count. 

There has been spiritual growth.

There has been more love and compassion for those around us. 

Elder Dallin H. Oaks said: "At this conference we have seen the release of some faithful brothers, and we have sustained the callings of others. In this rotation—so familiar in the Church—we do not “step down” when we are released, and we do not “step up” when we are called. There is no “up or down” in the service of the Lord. There is only “forward or backward,” and that difference depends on how we accept and act upon our releases and our callings" (LDS general conference April 2014)

As I have contemplated these words over the past week, I know them to be true. 
I do not feel this was a "demotion" in any way.

I guess what I am trying to say is that we gave it our all 
and that I want to keep giving the Lord my all. 
Even though it will now be in a different capacity. 

So as we go forward and adjust to our "new" normal,
we go forward with Faith.

We recommit to go and do.

To become who He wants us to be.

Today, we closed a chapter, 
but the story isn't over.

A new chapter is beginning.




No comments: